Mole - Paz Style
Paz family recipe given to us by Joe PazIngredients:
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 onion, diced very finely
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 cups of water
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- Put the oil and flour into a pot and cook on medium-high heat until the flour turns a dark tan color.
- Slowly add the diced onion about 1/4 at a time, ensuring that the temperature of the sauce doesn't drop too quickly and the moisture of the onion doesn't break the emulsion.
- Add the garlic and seasonings.
- Slowly add the water 1/4 to 1/2 a cup a time. Like step 2, make sure to stir while incorporating the water. Maintain heat and go slowly enough that emulsion doesn't break.