Skillet Tamale Pie
We have replaced the cheddar cheese with a Mexican blend in the past.Ingredients:
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flower
- 1/2 cup sour cream, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup yellow corn meal
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 15 oz can of chili beans (do not drain)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Position a rack in the upper third of the over; preheat to 450 degrees. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring until softened (about 3 minutes). Add the ground beef, chili powder, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Continue to cook, breaking up the beef with a wooden spoon, until browned (about 5 minutes). Remove from the heat and stir in the beans.
Whisk the eggs, sour cream, and 1/2 cup water in a medium bowl. Add the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a few grinds of pepper; stir until smooth. Stir in 1/2 cup of cheddar.
- Pour the cornmeal mixture over the beef in the skillet; spread evenly. Transfer to the over and bake until the topping is golden brown and firm, 20 to 22 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar. Switch the oven to broil; broil until the cheese is browned and bubbling, 1 to 3 minutes. Serve with sour cream.
- ground beef
- skillet meal