Curried Vegetable and Chickpea Stew
Yields: 8-10 servings
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 medium red or yellow potatoes, diced
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 (15 oz) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 bag mixed frozen pepper and onion blend
- 1 large head of broccoli, chopped
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 10 oz baby spinach
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion, season with 1 tsp of the salt, and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and 1 tsp of the salt, and saute until just translucent around the edges.
- Stir in the curry, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour in ¼ cup of the broth and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Transfer the onion-potato mixture into the bowl of a 6-quart or larger slow cooker.
- Add the remaining 1 ¾ cups broth, chickpeas, broccoli, tomatoes, frozen veggies, and remaining salt. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours.
- Stir in the spinach and and coconut milk. cover and let sit for a few more minutes to allow the spinach to wilt.