Tuscan White Bean Skillet
Yields: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ½ cups diced yellow onion (about 1 large onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅔ cup drained and chopped oil-packed sun dried tomatoes
- 2 14.5 ounce cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 14.5 ounce cans drained and rinsed Cannelini beans
- 14.5-ounce can quartered artichoke hearts, rinsed
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Parsley for garnish
- Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a 10-inch or 12-inch cast iron skillet set over medium-high heat until shimmering. Working in batches, add the mushrooms to the pan in a single layer. Brown for 1 to 2 minutes per side; transfer to a bowl and repeat with remaining mushrooms.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan; add the onions and sauté until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sun-dried tomatoes and cook until fragrant and softened, another 2 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes to the pan, along with the beans, artichoke hearts, salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, and sugar. Cover the pan and turn the heat down to medium. Let cook for about 10 minutes, until hot. Return the mushrooms to the pan and cook for another minute or two to warm them up.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with plenty of crusty bread.