This is one of our favorite recipes for use with our Instantpot. The recipe has been adapted from this one.
- 2 ½ lb chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons of kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 onion sliced
- ½ cup of red wine
- 1 14 oz can of low-sodium beef broth
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 6 soft rolls
- 3 tablespoons of butter melted
- ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder
- pinch of kosher salt
- 6 slices of provolone cheese
- For best results, let chuck roast rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before searing.
- Add vegetable oil to the Instant Pot and hit the sauté button.
- Season chuck roast with 2 teaspoon of kosher salt, freshly ground pepper to taste and ½ teaspoon of garlic powder on all side.
- Using a pair on long heat-proof kitchen tongs, sear roast on all sides in Instant Pot.
- Remove seared roast from Instant Pot and set aside.
- Add onions to pot and sauté just until they start to soften.
- Add red wine to pot and let simmer until reduced by half.
- Use a wooden spoon to scrape up seared bits from the bottom of the pot as it simmers.
- Once wine has reduced, add low-sodium beef broth and bay leaf.
- Return roast to Instant Pot, close lid and make pressure release valve is set to sealing.
- Hit Meat/Stew function and increase time to 100 minutes.
- Let Instant Pot natural release for 25 minutes, then turn valve to venting to release any excess pressure.
- Remove lid and transfer roast to a serving plate and shred.
- Strain liquid through a fine mesh strainer and serve warm for dipping sandwiches.
- Set oven to broil and place sandwich rolls on a baking sheet.
- Combine melted butter, ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder and pinch of kosher salt in a small bowl.
- Brush over rolls and toast 2-3 minutes, just until gold brown.
- Pile meat onto rolls and top with cheese. Return to broiler and heat just until cheese has started to melt.
- Top sandwiches with freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley and serve with warm au jus for dipping.