Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Pecans
Yields: 6 to 8 services
From the Food Network magazine; 2015 - Thanksgiving Edition
- 1 ½ sticks (12 tablespoons) salted butter, cut into pieces at room temperature
- 1 ¼ pounds russet potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled and chopped
- 1 ¼ pounds sweet potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled and chopped
- 1 to 2 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ to ½ cup milk, warmed
- Kosher salt
- Put all the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Season generously with salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes; return to the saucepan over low heat. Cook until any remaining water evaporates, about 2 minutes. Add the cayenne, ½ teaspoon of salt, and all but 2 tablespoons of butter; mash with a potato masher until smooth. Gradually mash in the milk until creamy. Season with black pepper; transfer to serving dish.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat until just beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the pecans; cook until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes, then remove from the heat. Stir in the brown sugar; pour over the mashed potatoes.