Yields: 5 servings
Persian recipe usually served with bread
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 1 kg)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 150 g lentils, rinsed and picked over to remove any stones
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 cups water
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Wash squash, peel, remove seeds and cut into 2-inches pieces.
- Set 2 tablespoons of onions aside for garnish.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pot over medium heat, add diced onions and fry until slightly golden, stirring occasionally.
- Add lentils, water, salt and pepper to the remaining golden onions. Cover the pot, heat over medium-low and simmer until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Then add squash; cover and simmer until those are tender. Add more water during cooking if necessary. Add lemon juice, stir well and simmer until almost all the liquid is absorbed.
- Garnish with golden onions before serving.