The Bennetts frequently brought this dinner to our small group events. I particularly liked their idea to serve it with an array of chili powders so each person could spice their own bowl to their liking.
In honor of the Bennetts, this dish must be served with a side of baby carrots. Baldr will be very disappointed in you if you forget the carrots.
-- Jacob Mastel
- 3 pounds boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- ½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 15 oz can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Garnish: sour cream or shredded cheese
- Optional: chopped fresh cilantro
- Dice the chicken or cut it into strips.
- Put the chicken pieces and the rest of the ingredient (omitting the garnishes) into a slow cooker. Stir to blend ingredients.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour, then cook on low for 3 to 4 hours longer, or until the chicken is cooked and tender. Alternatively, cook on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove the bay leaf. Spoon the chili into bowls and garnish with sour cream or shredded cheese, along with chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.